Lesson 2 - Urban bushland
We are learning why urban bushland is important.
We can use the results from a survey to communicate the reasons why bushland is important to people.
Online brainstorming using Jamboard
Why is urban bushland important?
Urban bushland provides:
- habitat for wildlife
- ecosystem health providing cleaner water, air and healthy soils
- climate control
- a place for people.
Brainstorm the benefits of urban bushland for people and the environment by creating a mind map. Share your ideas with your class.
- What did you discover?
- What would you like to know more about?
- How will you find out?
Having a picnic in the Field of Mars Reserve.
What are the benefits of urban bushland to people?
Urban bushland provides a place for people.
Why are these places important to people? To learn more let's take a look at how we can spend time in these places.
- View the image gallery of the ways people spend time in the Field of Mars Reserve.
- List the activities people do in the bushland at the Field of Mars Reserve.
- Have you participated in some of these activities in bushland before?
- How might these activities benefit a person's physical and mental health?
Conduct a survey
To learn more about the benefits of bushland to people we can survey or interview friends and family using Google forms.
- View the images taken from the Google form Bushland for people.
- Create a Google form that will investigate how and why people spend time in bushland.
- Send the form to two or more family and friends who like spending time in bushland areas.
Collate the responses from your survey.
- List the ways people use bushland.
- Explain why bushland is important to people.
Create a video or written response to the question, why is it important to maintain bushland in urban areas?