Lesson 1 - Characteristics of places
We are describing the characteristics of places.
We can make a 360º photo sketch to describe the characteristics of urban bushland.
The Field of Mars Reserve | Field of Mars EEC (0:57min) | YouTube
What are the characteristics of urban bushland?
Bushland is the term we use to describe the natural forests of Australia. These forests and woodlands surround our cities and towns but are also found in urban areas.
So what is urban bushland like? How can we describe its characteristics?
- View The Field of Mars Reserve video.
- Write three sentences to describe the bushland found in the Field of Mars Reserve.
What characteristics can you observe?
- Interact with the 360º image of the entrance road at the Field of Mars Reserve.
- View the image online at Google Maps
- Create a T chart with the headings bushland features.
- Make two columns: natural features and built features.
- List the natural and built features identified in the image.
Folded views | Field of Mars EEC (1:01min) | Video transcript | YouTube
How can we sketch our observations?
Geographers conduct field sketches to record geographic features being observed. We can conduct a 360º field sketch by making a folded view.
- View the Folded views video.
- Go to an outdoor area.
- Make a folded view.
- square paper
- pencil and clipboard (or hardcover book to rest on).
Virtual fieldwork using Google Maps | Field of Mars EEC (2:01min) | Video transcript | YouTube
How can we conduct virtual fieldwork to learn more about local places?
To best way to learn about places is to conduct geographic fieldwork in the place we are investigating.
If this is not possible we can conduct virtual fieldwork.
- View the Virtual fieldwork using Google Maps video.
- Open Google Maps and locate bushland near you.
- Use Street view or the photo spheres to explore.
Create a folded view through virtual fieldwork.
- Begin by using the compass in Google Maps to locate north.
- Sketch the geographic features you observe.
- Continue sketching the east, south and west views.
- Label and annotate your sketch to identify and describe the characteristics of your local bushland.