Sherlock's formula for a great explanation of an adaptation
Features of an explanation about a plant or animal's adaptations
- Write the title.
- Name the living thing and the environment in which it lives.
- Describe a challenge the living thing faces in its environment.
- Describe a structure or behaviour that the living thing has.
- Explain how the structure or behaviour helps the living thing overcome the challenge.
- Write a concluding sentence.
Sherlock's sample explanation
Wombats are Australian marsupials that live in bushland environments. Like other marsupials, female wombats have a pouch.
Wombats dig long underground burrows for shelter. Digging is dirty, dusty work. If the pouch of a female wombat fills with dirt as she digs, the joey inside can get sick and not survive.
Unlike other marsupials, wombat pouches face towards the rear.
The rearward-facing pouch prevents it from filling with dirt. The pouch stays clean and provides a healthy environment for the joey to grow and develop.
For this reason, the rearward-facing pouch of a wombat is an adaptation that helps the species survive.