Lesson 2 - The needs of animals
We are learning about the needs of animals.
We can create a habitat for an animal where its basic needs are met.
Instructions - Activity 1 | Field of Mars EEC (0:48min) I Video transcript | YouTube
Frog looks for home
View the video and read along as we share a story.
Frog looks for home | Field of Mars EEC (2:02min) I Video transcript | YouTube
- Who was your favourite animal from the story?
- Where do they live?
- Why do they like their home?
Choose an animal from the story.
- Move like the animal.
- Eat like the animal.
- Tell a teacher or adult at home about the animal.
What is a habitat?
A home for wild animals is a habitat.
A habitat provides an animal its basic needs:
Look at the picture of a frog in its habitat.
Can you see:
I can't see food but do you think mosquitoes and other insects might live here?
A frog in its habitat
Instructions - Activity 3 | Field of Mars EEC (0:57min) I Video transcript | YouTube
The basic needs of animals
- Look for animals in nature such as birds or ants.
- Watch the animal as it moves around.
- Open the animal checklist.
- Use the animal checklist to see if the animal has food, water, air and shelter.
- Do they have their basic needs?
Instructions - Activity 4 | Field of Mars EEC (1:14min) I Video transcript | YouTube
Make a habitat
Find a toy animal.
- What type of animal is it?
- What does it need?
Make a habitat for your toy.
- You will need to give it:
- food to eat
- water to drink
- air to breathe